Makes about 2 servings
● 2 cups fresh basil
● 1/3 cup macadamia nuts
● 2 tbsp pine nuts or more macadamia nuts
● 4 cloves garlic
● 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
● 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
● 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
● salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Wash the basil, peel and mash the garlic, juice and zest the lemon.
2. Place the oil, basil, garlic, lemon, macadamia and pine nuts, salt and pepper into a food processor.
3. Pulse until smooth. Optionally, add grated parmesan cheese and pulse for a few more seconds.
4. When done, use immediately or spoon the mixture in a glass jar, top with a bit of olive oil and seal properly with a lid.
Tips for storing:
You can keep your pesto in the fridge for up to a week or two if it's stored properly. It helps to pour a thin layer of olive oil on the top, as it keeps it fresh for longer. If you want to preserve home-made pesto for longer, freeze it in manageable portion sizes by putting it in an ice-cube tray and keep in a plastic bag in the freezer for up to 6 months. Whenever you need to use it, just keep the required portion at room temperature until it melts.
LIKE, SAVE, SHARE
Get delicious recipes that will help you break your sugar addiction, balance your hormones and finally lose the weight right in your email.